- Noun. A unit of three dimensional measure of space that comprises a length, a width and a height. It is measured in units of cubic centimeters in metric, cubic inches or cubic feet in English measurement. (''The room is 9x12x8, so its '''volume''' is 864 cubic feet.'').
- Noun. Strength of sound. Measured in decibels. (''Please turn down the '''volume''' on the stereo.'').
- Noun. The issues of a periodical over a period of one year. (''I looked at this week's copy of the magazine. It was '''volume''' 23, issue 45.'').
- Noun. A single book of a publication issued in multi-book format, such as an encyclopedia. (''The letter "G" was found in '''volume''' 4.'').
- Noun. A synonym for quantity. (''The '''volume''' of ticket sales decreased this week.'').
- Noun. (economics) The total supply of money in circulation or, less frequently, total amount of credit extended, within a specified national market or worldwide.
- Noun. (computing) An accessible storage area with a single file system, typically resident on a single partition of a hard disk.