- Noun. A distressful or dangerous situation.
- Noun. A difficulty, problem, condition, or action contributing to such a situation.
- Noun. A violent occurrence or event.
- Noun. Efforts taken or expended, typically beyond the normal required.
- Noun. A malfunction, as in "heart trouble".
- Noun. Liability to punishment; conflict with authority.
- Verb. (context, transitive) To disturb, stir up, agitate (a medium, especially water).
- Verb. (transitive) To mentally distress; to cause (someone) to be anxious or perplexed.
- Verb. (transitive) In weaker sense: to bother; to annoy, pester.
- Verb. (reflexive, _) To take pains (term, to) do something.
This is an unmodified, but possibly outdated, definition from Wiktionary and used here under the Creative Commons license. Wiktionary is a great resource. If you like it too, please donate to Wikimedia.
This entry was last updated on RefTopia from its source on 3/20/2012.