- Noun. A character or glyph representing an idea, concept or object.
- Noun. Any object, typically material, which is meant to represent another (usually abstract) even if there is no meaningful relationship.
- Noun. (linguistics) A type of noun whereby the form refers to the same entity independently of the context; a symbol arbitrarily denotes a referent. See also icon and index.
- Noun. A summary of a dogmatic statement of faith.
- Noun. Visible traces or impressions, made using a writing device or tool, that are connected together and/or are slightly separated. Sometimes symbols represent objects or events that occupy space or things that are not physical and do not occupy space.
- Verb. To symbolize.