- Noun. A broad piece of defensive armor, carried on the arm, formerly in general use in war, for the protection of the body.
- Noun. Anything which protects or defends; defense; shelter; protection.
- Noun. Figuratively, one who protects or defends.
- Noun. (botany) In lichens, a hardened cup or disk surrounded by a rim and containing the fructification, or asci.
- Noun. (heraldry) The escutcheon or field on which are placed the bearings in coats of arms.
- Noun. (geology) A large expanse of exposed stable Precambrian rock.
- Noun. (mining) A framework used to protect workmen in making an adit under ground, and capable of being pushed along as excavation progresses.
- Noun. A spot resembling, or having the form of a shield.
- Noun. (quote-book, passage Bespotted as with '''shields''' of red and black.) .
- Noun. (obsolete) A coin, the old French crown, or écu, having on one side the figure of a shield.
- Noun. (science fiction) A field of energy which protects or defends.
- Noun. (colloquial, law enforcement) A police badge.
- Noun. (transport) A sign or symbol, usually containing numbers and sometimes letters, identifying a highway route.
- Verb. To protect, to defend.
- Verb. (electricity) to protect from the influence of.
This is an unmodified, but possibly outdated, definition from Wiktionary and used here under the Creative Commons license. Wiktionary is a great resource. If you like it too, please donate to Wikimedia.
This entry was last updated on RefTopia from its source on 3/20/2012.