- Noun. Any considerable and connected part of a space or surface; specifically, a tract of land or sea of considerable but indefinite extent; a country; a district; in a broad sense, a place without special reference to location or extent but viewed as an entity for geographical, social or cultural reasons.
- Noun. An administrative subdivision of a city, a territory, a country or the European Union.
- Noun. (historical) Such a division of the city of Rome and of the territory about Rome, of which the number varied at different times; a district, quarter, or ward.
- Noun. (figuratively) The inhabitants of a region or district of a country.
- Noun. (anatomy) A place in or a part of the body in any way indicated.
- Noun. (obsolete) Place; rank; station; dignity.
- Noun. (obsolete) The space from the earth's surface out to the orbit of the moon: properly called the elemental region.