- Noun. A herb of the genus ''Urtica'', which is covered with stinging, mildly poisonous hairs, causing an instant rash.
- Noun. The non-stinging plant deadnettle, also in the '''nettle''' family, ''Urticaceae'' (named after the above).
- Noun. Loosely, anything which causes a similarly stinging rash, such as a jellyfish or sea-nettle.
- Verb. (literally) Of the nettle plant and similar physical causes, to sting causing a rash in someone.
- Verb. (figuratively) To pique, irritate, vex or provoke someone.