- Noun. (rail transport) The power unit of a train which does not carry passengers or freight itself, but pulls the coaches or rail cars or wagons.
- Noun. (rare) A traction engine.
- Noun. (slang) A cheer characterized by a slow beginning and a progressive increase in speed.
- Noun. (economics) A country which drives the world economy by having a high level of imports. (i.e. The United States).
- Adjective. of or relating to locomotion.
- Adjective. of or relating to the power unit of a train which does not carry passengers or freight itself.