- Noun. (baseball) A period of play in which members of a visiting baseball team attempt to hit a baseball pitched by the opposing home team until three players are called out, followed by a similar attempt by members of the home baseball team against the visiting team's pitching. There are nine or more innings in a regulation baseball game.
- Noun. (softball) A similar period of play.
- Noun. (billiards) A player (or team)'s turn at the table to make shots until ended by a miss or a foul.
- Noun. A chance or opportunity to perform some deed or act.
- Noun. (obsolete) Lands recovered from the sea.