- Adjective. Chronologically first, early; of or pertaining to the beginning, cause or origin.
- Adjective. Spatially first, placed at the beginning, in the first position; especially said of the first letter of a word.
- Noun. The first letter of a word or a name.
- Noun. In plural, the first letter of each word of a person's full name considered as a unit.
- Noun. (typesetting, calligraphy) A distinguished initial letter of a chapter or section of a document.
- Verb. (transitive) To sign one's initial(s), as an abbreviated signature.