- Noun. The power to affect, control or manipulate something or someone; the ability to change the development of fluctuating things such as conduct, thoughts or decisions.
- Noun. An action exerted by a person or thing with such power on another to cause change.
- Noun. A person or thing exerting such power or action.
- Noun. (astrology) An element believed to determine someone's character or individual tendencies, caused by the position of the stars and planets at the time of one's birth.
- Noun. (obsolete) The action of flowing in; influx.
- Noun. (electricity) electrostatic induction.
- Verb. (transitive) To affect by gentle action; to exert an influence upon; to modify, bias, or sway; to persuade or induce.
- Verb. (intransitive) To exert, make us of one's influence.
- Verb. (transitive, obsolete) To cause to flow in or into; infuse; instill.