- Noun. the act of inducting.
- Noun. a formal ceremony in which a person is appointed to an office or into military service.
- Noun. (physics) the generation of an electric current by a varying magnetic field.
- Noun. (logic) the derivation of general principles from specific instances.
- Noun. (mathematics) A general proof of a theorem by first proving it for a specific integer (for example) and showing that, if it is true for one integer then it must be true for the next.
- Noun. (theater) The use of rumors to twist and complicate the plot of a play or to narrate in a way that does not have to state truth nor fact within the play.
- Noun. (biology) In developmental biology, the development of a feature from part of a formerly homogenous field of cells in response to a morphogen whose source determines the feature's position and extent.
- Noun. (obsolete) an introduction.
- Noun. the act of inducing childbirth.