- Adjective. (obsolete) Empty, vacant.
- Adjective. Not turned to appropriate use; not occupied.
- Adjective. Not engaged in any occupation or employment; unemployed; inactive; doing nothing.
- Adjective. Averse to work, labor or employment; lazy; slothful.
- Adjective. Of no importance; useless; worthless; vain; trifling; thoughtless; silly.
- Verb. (transitive) To spend in idleness; to waste; to consume.
- Verb. (intransitive) To lose or spend time doing nothing, or without being employed in business.
- Verb. (intransitive) Of an engine: to run at a slow speed, or out of gear; to tick-over.