- Noun. (philosophy) An abstract archetype of a given thing, compared to which real-life examples are seen as imperfect approximations; pure essence, as opposed to actual examples. (defdate, from 14th c.) .
- Noun. (obsolete) The conception of someone or something as representing a perfect example; an ideal. (defdate, 16th-19th c.) .
- Noun. (obsolete) The form or shape of something; a quintessential aspect or characteristic. (defdate, 16th-18th c.) .
- Noun. An image of an object that is formed in the mind or recalled by the memory. (defdate, from 16th c.) .
- Noun. More generally, any result of mental activity; a thought, a notion; a way of thinking. (defdate, from 17th c.) .
- Noun. A conception in the mind of something to be done; a plan for doing something, an (l, en) . (defdate, from 17th c.) .
- Noun. A vague or fanciful (l, en) ; a feeling or hunch; an impression. (defdate, from 17th c.) .
- Noun. (music) A musical theme or melodic subject. (defdate, from 18th c.) .