- Noun. A fictitious narration intended to enforce some useful truth or precept, usually with animals, birds etc as characters; an apologue. Prototypically, Aesop's Fables.
- Noun. Any story told to excite wonder; common talk; the theme of talk.
- Noun. Fiction; untruth; falsehood.
- Verb. (intransitive, archaic) To compose fables; hence, to write or speak fiction ; to write or utter what is not true.
- Verb. (transitive, archaic) To feign; to invent; to devise, and speak of, as true or real; to tell of falsely.