- Adjective. Of or relating to the Cynics, a sect of ancient Greek philosophers who believed virtue to be the only good and self-control to be the only means of achieving virtue.
- Adjective. Concerned only with one's own interests and disregarding accepted standards to achieve them: ''A cynical fool''.
- Adjective. of or relating to the belief that human actions are motivated only or primarily by base desires or selfishness.
- Adjective. skeptical of the integrity, sincerity, or motives of others.
- Adjective. bitterly or jadedly distrustful or contemptuous; mocking.
- Adjective. showing contempt for accepted moral standards by one's actions.
- Adjective. (context, medicine) like the actions of a snarling dog.