- Verb. To exercise influence over, to suggest or dictate the behavior of, oversit.
- Noun. Influence or authority over.
- Noun. A separate group or subject in an experiment against which the results are compared where the primary variable is low or nonexistence.
- Noun. The method and means of governing the performance of any apparatus, machine or system, such as a lever, handle or button.
- Noun. A security mechanism, policy, or procedure that can counter system attack, reduce risks, and resolve vulnerabilities, synonymous with safeguard and counter-measure.
- Noun. restraint or ability to contain one's emotions, or self-control.
- Noun. (GUI) An interface element that a computer user interacts with, such as a window or a text box.