- Proper noun. (UK) popular, shortened form for the City of London, the historic core of London where the Roman settlement of Londinium was established.
- Proper noun. (UK) a metonym for the United Kingdom's financial industries, which are principally based in the City of London.
- Proper noun. A popular name (not always capitalized) for any of several other cities in metropolitan areas (such as San Francisco).
- Proper noun. A nickname for Manchester City Football Club of the English Premier League.
- Noun. A large settlement, bigger than a town. In Europe a city was historically a place that had succeeded in obtaining the right to build a city wall, a belfort, etc., from the nobility.
- Proper noun. (rfd-sense) (context, in Northern California) San Francisco.
- Proper noun. (rfd-sense) (context, in New York City) Manhattan.