- Noun. A flying insect of the order ''Lepidoptera'', distinguished from moths by their diurnal activity and generally brighter colouring. (defdate, from 11th c.) .
- Noun. (context, now) Someone seen as being unserious and (originally) dressed gaudily; someone flighty and unreliable. (defdate, from 17th c.) .
- Noun. The butterfly stroke. (defdate, from 20th c.) .
- Noun. A use of surgical tape, cut into thin strips and placed across an open wound to hold it closed.
- Verb. To cut almost entirely in half and spread the halves apart, in a shape suggesting the wings of a butterfly.
- Verb. To cut strips of surgical tape or plasters into thin strips, and place across a gaping wound to close it.