- Noun. In scientific usage, a multicellular organism that is usually mobile, whose cells are not encased in a rigid cell wall (distinguishing it from plants and fungi) and which derives energy solely from the consumption of other organisms (distinguishing it from plants).
- Noun. In non-scientific usage, any member of the kingdom Animalia other than a human being.
- Noun. In non-scientific usage, any land-living vertebrate (i.e. not birds, fishes, insects etc).
- Noun. (figuratively) A person who behaves wildly; a bestial, brutal, brutish, cruel, or inhuman person.
- Noun. (informal) A person of a particular type.
- Adjective. Of or relating to animals.
- Adjective. Raw, base, unhindered by social codes.
- Adjective. Pertaining to the spirit or soul; relating to sensation or innervation.
- Adjective. (slang, Ireland) Excellent.