- Noun. (uncountable, historical) The atmospheric substance above the surface of the earth which animals breathe, formerly considered to be a single substance, one of the four basic elements of ancient philosophy and one of the five basic elements of Eastern traditions.
- Noun. (uncountable, physics) Now understood as the mixture of gases comprising the earth's atmosphere.
- Noun. (usually, with the) The apparently open space above the ground; the mass of this substance around the earth.
- Noun. A feeling or sense.
- Noun. (obsolete) A sense of poise, graciousness, or quality.
- Noun. (context, usually plural) Pretension; snobbishness; pretence that one is better than others.
- Noun. (music) A song, especially a solo; an aria.
- Noun. (informal) Nothing; absence of anything.
- Noun. (uncountable) An air conditioner or the processed air it produces.
- Noun. (obsolete, chemistry) Any specific gas.
- Noun. (snowboarding, skateboarding) A jump in which one becomes airborne.
- Verb. To bring (something) into contact with the air, so as to freshen or dry it.
- Verb. To let fresh air into a room or a building, to ventilate.
- Verb. To discuss varying viewpoints on a given topic.
- Verb. To broadcast, as with a television show.
This is an unmodified, but possibly outdated, definition from Wiktionary and used here under the Creative Commons license. Wiktionary is a great resource. If you like it too, please donate to Wikimedia.
This entry was last updated on RefTopia from its source on 3/20/2012.