- Verb. (transitive) To make suitable; to make to correspond; to fit or suit; to proportion.
- Verb. (transitive) To fit by alteration; to modify or remodel for a different purpose; to adjust: as, to adapt a story or a foreign play for the stage; to adapt an old machine to a new manufacture.
- Verb. (transitive) To make by altering or fitting something else; to produce by change of form or character: as, to bring out a play adapted from the French; a word of an adapted form.
- Verb. (intransitive) To change oneself so as to be adapted.
- Adjective. Adapted; fit; suited; suitable.