- Adjective. Belonging to an academy or other higher institution of learning.
- Adjective. Belonging to the school or philosophy of Plato; as, the '''academic''' sect or philosophy.
- Adjective. Being scholarly; literary or classical, in distinction from scientific.
- Adjective. Conforming to set rules and traditions.
- Adjective. Having an aptitude for study.
- Adjective. (pejorative) Having no practical importance.
- Noun. A member of the Academy; a follower of Plato, a Platonist.
- Noun. A member of an academy, college, or university; an academician.
- Noun. A person who attends an academy.