- Preposition. In or to a higher place; higher than; on or over the upper surface; over; — opposed to ''below'' or ''beneath''.
- Preposition. Figuratively, higher than; superior to in any respect; surpassing; beyond; higher in measure or degree than; as, things ''above'' comprehension; ''above'' mean actions; conduct ''above'' reproach.
- Preposition. Surpassing in number or quantity; more than; as, ''above'' a hundred. (Passing into the adverbial sense; see adverb #4 below.).
- Adverb. In a higher place; overhead; into or from heaven.
- Adverb. Earlier in order; higher in the same page; ''hence'', in a foregoing page.
- Adverb. Higher in rank or power.
- Adjective. '''Above''' is often used elliptically as an adjective by omitting the word ''said'', ''mentioned'', ''quoted'', or the like:.
- Noun. '''Above''' is often used further elliptically as a noun by omitting the noun, where it is should be clear what is omitted.