- Verb. (intransitive, obsolete) To wait; to pause; to delay.
- Verb. (intransitive) To stay; to continue in a place; to have one's abode; to dwell; to sojourn; -- with ''with'' before a person, and commonly with ''at'' or ''in'' before a place.
- Verb. (intransitive) To remain stable or fixed in some state or condition; to continue; to remain.
- Verb. (transitive, obsolete with a ''personal'' object) To wait for, to be prepared for, to await, to watch for.
- Verb. (transitive) To endure; to sustain; to submit to.
- Verb. (transitive) To bear patiently; to tolerate; to put up with.
- Verb. (transitive, confused with ''aby'' "to pay for") To stand the consequences of; to answer for; to suffer for.