- Verb. (transitive) To assist or encourage by aid or countenance, especially in crime.
- Verb. (transitive, obsolete) To support, countenance, maintain, uphold, or aid any cause, opinion, or action; to maintain.
- Verb. (transitive) To support, uphold, or aid; to maintain.
- Verb. (obsolete) To urge on, stimulate (a person to do something) - first known use 1390.
- Verb. (obsolete) To back up one's forecast of a doubtful issue, by staking money, etc., to bet.
- Noun. (obsolete) An act of abetting; of helping; of giving aid.