- Noun. One who is learning the alphabet; hence, a tyro.
- Noun. One engaged in teaching the alphabet.
- Noun. One who is a beginner in some field.
- Noun. (rhetoric) A series of terms in an utterance in alphabetical order.
- Noun. (religion) A member of a XVI° century sect, follower of the Zwickau prophets (and specially of Thomas Storch) , believing that every kind of knowledge (even basic reading and writing) would keep one from reaching the holy faith.
- Adjective. Pertaining to, or formed by, the letters of the alphabet; alphabetic; hence, rudimentary.