- Noun. The act of abandoning, or the state of being abandoned; total desertion; relinquishment.
- Noun. (context, maritime) The relinquishment by the insured to the underwriters of what may remain of the property insured after a loss or damage by a peril insured against.
- Noun. (context, common) The relinquishment of a right, claim or privilege, as to mill site, etc.
- Noun. (context, common) The voluntary leaving of a person to whom one is bound by a special relation, as a wife, husband or child; desertion.
- Noun. The cessation of service on a particular segment of the lines of a common carrier by railroad.
- Noun. A refusal to receive freight so damaged in transit as to be worthless and render carrier liable for its value.
- Noun. (rare) Careless freedom or ease; abandon.