- Proper noun. (given name, male) , an occasional spelling variant of Ernest.
- Adjective. Ardent in the pursuit of an object; eager to obtain or do; zealous with sincerity; with hearty endeavour; heartfelt; fervent; hearty; -- used in a good sense; as, earnest prayers.
- Adjective. Intent; fixed closely; as, earnest attention.
- Adjective. Serious; important.
- Noun. Seriousness; reality; fixed determination; eagerness; intentness.
- Noun. Something given, or a part paid beforehand, as a pledge; pledge; handsel; a token of what is to come.
- Noun. Something of value given by the buyer to the seller, by way of token or pledge, to bind the bargain and prove the sale.