- Adjective. from the Baroque period in visual art and music.
- Proper noun. A period in western architecture from ca. 1600 to the middle of the eighteenth century, known for its abundance of decoration.
- Proper noun. A period in western art from ca. 1600 to the middle of the eighteenth century, characterized by drama, rich color, and dramatic contrast between light and shadow.
- Proper noun. A period in western music from ca. 1600 to ca. 1760, characterized by extensive use of counterpoint, basso-continuo, and extensive ornamentation.
- Proper noun. The chess variant invented in 1962 by mathematician Robert Abbott, or any of its descendants, where pieces move alike, but have differing methods of capture.
- Adjective. ornate, intricate, decorated, laden with detail.
- Adjective. complex and beautiful, despite an outward irregularity.
- Adjective. chiseled from stone, or shaped from wood, in a garish, crooked, twisted, or slanted sort of way, grotesque.
- Adjective. embellished with figures and forms such that every level of relief gives way to more details and contrasts.