- Proper noun. (surname, A An) for a steward or official.
- Proper noun. A topographic surname from someone who lived by a bailey (the outer wall of a castle).
- Proper noun. (given name, male) derived from the surname.
- Proper noun. (''mostly U.S:'') (given name, female) .
- Noun. The outer wall of a feudal castle.
- Noun. The space immediately within the outer wall of a castle or fortress.
- Noun. A prison or court of justice; -- used in certain proper names; as, the Old Bailey in London; the New Bailey in Manchester.