- Proper noun. The eighth month of the Gregorian calendar, following July and preceding September. Abbreviation: '''Aug''' or '''Aug.'''.
- Proper noun. (given name, male) , variant of Augustus borrowed from continental Europe.
- Proper noun. (given name, female) derived from the month (rare modern usage).
- Adjective. Noble, venerable, majestic, awe-inspiring, often of the highest social class (qualifier, sometimes used ironically) .
- Adjective. Of noble birth.
- Verb. To make ripe.
- Verb. To bring to realisation.