- Proper noun. A diminutive of the female given names Alison, Alice and Alexandra.
- Proper noun. A diminutive of the male given name Alfred or of other names beginning with Al-.
- Verb. (transitive) To unite, or form a connection between, as between families by marriage, or between princes and states by treaty, league, or confederacy.
- Verb. (transitive) To connect or form a relation between by similitude, resemblance, friendship, or love.
- Noun. One united to another by treaty or league; — usually applied to sovereigns or states; a confederate.
- Noun. Anything associated with another as a helper; an auxiliary.
- Noun. Anything akin to another by structure, etc.